Wednesday 25 April 2012

Martin Parr

Martin Parr is a British documentary photographer and photojournalist, he is a member of Magnum Photos and focuses on the aspects of modern day life of people, and is also a member of Magnum Photos. He started working as a professional photographer and has taught photography from the mid 1970s, he was recognised for his black and white photography, but then he switched to colour photography in the 1980s.
Since 1994 Martin Parr has been a member of Magnum Photos, and has had almost 50 books published and has ha his work featured in over 80 exhibitions worldwide. The images that he produces are very bold and burst in colour and he likes to add humour to his work. The way he creates these bold colours is by using a ring flash, Macro Lenses and high saturation film. As well as taking photographs he is a collector of postcards and other objects to show popular culture, since the 1970s Parr has been publishing postcards and have become very popular with the public.




For this task I was to take a minimum of 3 photos that were inspired my Martin Parr, which enabled me to look at themes such as colour, humour and people. I decided to look at colour as I thought I could capture some bright close ups.


                      This is my favourite image I took, as I think it looks natural and that the cups and teapot have just been left n the table, and it doesn't look as if it has been purposely set up for the photo. I also like the contrast of the colours, especially how the yellow teapot and the flowers stand out from the rest of the objects which have a more pastel colour.










This is another image that I took, inspired by Martin Parr. I wanted to try a different approach to my previous image. In some of Martin Parrs work he takes pictures of people on the streets, in a normal day to day setting where none of his work is set up, it is all natural. In this picture I wanted to try and get it in the style of one of his pictures with the people in their normal setting. Also by having the bright colours on the two signs, which I altered the contrast to make them stand out more. I think that by doing this shows more of a similarity between this picture and Martin Parrs work.

No comments:

Post a Comment